Stretching is – as the other mindful exercises we teach – a meditation in motion.
When you stretch, you focus on your body. While you focus on your body, you feel it, which means you bring your attention inside. You learn to feel your own energy and this will have a positive effect on your mind, bringing focus and clarity.
Stretching alone helps to increase flexibility and even mobility.
Stretching exercises are essential before and after an extensive sports training. No athlete would even think about exercising without them.
Some of the oldest forms of exercise are based on the power of stretching, just think of Yoga, Qi Gong and Tai Chi and many forms of martial arts.
Mobility is one of the basic elements for a healthy, resilient body. Stretching increases the joints’ suppleness up to a high age. No matter which age or body form, mobility and a good sense of one’s own body can be achieved at any time, for those who take responsibility for their own well-being.
If we find a way to align ourselves with our body and find a way of movement that sustains it, allows for power and relaxation, action and rest, strength and vitality are not only achievable, but will come automatically.
Stretching doesn’t need to be – and actually shouldn’t be – practiced excessively. Even short routines of 10 – 20 minutes in the morning or evening are enough to benefit the body, to bring peace and calm into the day or the night.
Balance, tranquility and harmony of body, mind & spirit come as a bonus.
Stretching is essential and a natural way to release stress and tension, both physically and mentally.
- deeper relationship with your own body
- more oxygen in the body through more efficient breathing
- increased metabolic effect leading to meliorated functions of joints and systems
- nerves in tendons and muscles pass information more quickly
- tendons and connective tissue gets more tear-proof
- muscles increase their ability to form
- coordination gets more precise
- improved ability to concentrate and focus brings more clarity
- better body awareness increases self-consciousness, self-esteem, sensuality and charisma
You can download a free Stretching Chart here